The exhibition that the ING dedicates to the graphic work of Hartung was set by the donation the Hartung-Bergman Foundation made to the MIBACT.
The heart of the donation, which consists of 138 papers is displayed on the premises of Palazzo Poli, next to paintings and drawings, the latter on display for the first time and focusing upon the graphic production by the French-German master, making evident how much painting owes to graphic art.
The key word that defines the exhibition is Hartung, graveur peintre. This definition, coined by Rainer Michael Mason, one of the most perceptive interpreter’s Hartung’s work, overturns the traditional connection between painting and etching.
The graphic production, widely documented here, offers a range of stylistic solutions, and executive processes which seemingly only contradict the artist’s fast and spontaneous modus operandi. As such, the diagnostics laboratory of the matrices and the prints, showing the constant dynamism of the research of mere abstraction, fron Blitzbuecher, or “Lightening books”, he never gave up on drawing the reality trying to “fix the dynamism and the force of energy” (Hans Hartung) through the still action, as defined by Achille Bonito Oliva.
Hans Hartung’s art has been much appreciated by the public and followed by Italian critics throughout the years since 1948, when Giulio Carlo Argan, introduced him for the first time during the 24th Biennale di Venezia, in the Peggy guggenheim Collection, until the latest retrospective exhibition.
This exhibition highlights Hartung’s strong integration into European nieteenth century culture, embedding Italy in the virtuous network of public collectors of the master’s graphic work, along with other prestigious institutions; such as the bibliothèque National de France, the Kupferstichkabinett at the Staatlichen Museen in Berlin and the Cabinet des Estampes of the Musée d’Art et D’Histoire of Génève.
When: from Dec 13th, 2013 to May 4th, 2014
Where: Palazzo Poli (Fontana di Trevi) Via Poli, 54 – 00187 Roma
From: 10am to 7pm daily Closed on Mondays